Search help

Item Details

Augusta Stone Church
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Fort Defiance, VA
Denomination Presbyterian Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes Old Stone Church. Fort Defiance, VA. This ancient edifice, known officially as Augusta Church and located on the Valley Pike eight miles north of Staunton, is the oldest Presbyterian House of worship west of the Blue Ridge. It was erected between 1740 and 1747, and the congregation was evidently organized prior to 1737. After Braddock's defeat by the French and Indians in July, 1755, a fort was built about the church. The worshipers carried their guns to church and the fort was accordingly named Fort Defiance. The original church stands, but it was enlarged in 1921-22.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...