Search help

Item Details

St. Philip's Episcopal Church, interior
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Charleston, SC
Denomination Episcopal Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes The original St. Philip's Church was built in 1681. The present building was completed in 1838 and is considered one of the most beautiful churches in the Western Hemisphere. During the War Between the States, the bells were given to the Confederacy. This magnificent interior was severely damaged by Federal artillery shells from Morris Island which pierced the rood and walls and demolished the Chancel and organ.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...