Search help

Item Details

St. Michael's Episcopal Church
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Charleston, SC
Denomination Episcopal Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes The corner-stone of this church was laid in 1752, and first used for worship in 1761. In 1764 the famous bells and clock were imported from England, and the organ in 1768, part of which is incorporated in the present organ in the church. The bells were seized by Major Traille, as a perquisite of war, and shipped and sold in England, where they were purchased by a former Charleston Merchant, and shipped back again.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...