Search help

Item Details

Old Norriton Presbyterian CHurch
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Norristown, PA
Denomination Presbyterian Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes Founded by the Holland Dutch prior to 1700 A.D. First mentioned in Presbyterian records 1735 A.D. Traditional date of graveyard 1678 A.D. Revolutionary patriots lie in churchyard. Visited by George Washington when the building was used as a military hospital after the Battle of Germantown. The Presbytery of Philadelphia met here, Nov. 17, 1774, to ordain Norriton's pastor, Daniel McCallar, the only chaplain appointed by Congress during the Revolution. The ancient furniture was removed in 1844; restored in 1940. The "Friends of Old Norriton" meet for a public service of worship in this meeting house each year the third Sunday in September at 3 P.M.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...