Search help

Item Details

Ancient Spanish Shrine of Nuestra Senora de la Leche
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State St. Augustine, FL
Denomination Catholic Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes Erected in the early days on the spot called Nombre de Dios, where Pedro Menendez de Aliles landed in 1565 and laid the foundation of the first Spanish Colony in the new Continent. Here the religious ceremony of taking possession of the land in the name of God and of the King of Spain, took place, and the first Holy Mass was celebrated. Scene of the martyrdom of Father Rodriquez of a Franciscan Brother during the Indian revolt of 1597. Dismantled and abandoned during the border raids from Georgia. Rebuilt by Bishop Verot in 1873, blown down by a storm a year later. Erected by Bishop Curley in 1918. Restored and furnished as a Chapel by Mrs. Gen. Hardin in memory of General Martin D. Hardin, in 1925, St, Augustine, Fla.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...