Search help

Item Details

The Church of San Miguel
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Socorro, NM
Denomination Catholic Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes Father Alfonso Benavidez accompanied Onate in his explorations in 1598 and remained here to do missionary work where the Indians were so friendly. He was so successful in this work that he became known as: "The Apostle of Socorro". With the help of the Indians they built a modest little church which they replaced with a larger building between the years 1615 and 1626. This church still contains a wall of the original mission built in 1598. The pesent church building with its massive walls and huge vigas with supporting corbel - arches used the natural ability and craftsmanship of the Indians, under the direction of the priests, and the interior of the church was greatly enriched. The church has gone under thename of San Miguel since about 1800 - in honor of St. Michael, the Angelic Protestor of the people
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...