Search help

Item Details

Old Mission San Juan Capistrano
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State San Juan Capistrano, CA
Denomination Catholic Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes Founded November 1, 1776. Hanging from sycamore beams since this campanario, or bell wall, was built in 1813, these bells serve both useful and decorative purposes. Two of them were first sounded at the site of the Mission in 1775 and have survived burial and a disastrous earthquake. The beautiful red-topped plants are poinsettias.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...