Search help

Item Details

San Xavier Del Bac Mission
Format Postcard
Description 2 pages
Language English
City, State Tucson, AZ
Denomination Catholic Church
Subject Fine Arts
Notes "The White Dove of the Desert" Founded 1692 -- Built 1783 One of the best preserved and most exquisite old Spanish Missions in the Southwest. Established in 1692 by Father Kino, it stands in the center of a Papago Indian settlement along the banks of the Santa Cruz River, 9 miles south of Tucson. Services are held here regularly for these Indians who are the direct descendants of those for whom the Mission was conceived.
Collection James R. Tanis Collection of Church Postcards
Contributor Princeton Theological Seminary
Rights Copyright Not Evaluated Copyright Not Evaluated Digitized collections are made accessible for purposes of education and research. More...