The Presbyterian Review
The Presbyterian Review was a quarterly publication initiated in 1880, with its last volume, the tenth, appearing in 1889. From the beginning, The Presbyterian Review presented itself in direct response to the perceived failure of The Princeton Review to adequately represent Presbyterian interests and the editors conceived of their journal as a vehicle for the “strong, hearty, steady, and thorough advocacy of Presbyterian principles.” Along with articles focused on aspects of theology and reprints of Presbyterian works, readers were exposed to critical reviews of recent publications, to denominational information, and to a section of Notes and Queries. Archibald A. Hodge and Charles A. Briggs were designated as the first managing editors with others serving in this role along the way. Volumes 1-5, 1880-1884, were published in New York by Anson D. F. Randolph & Company; volume 6, 1885, was published in New York by The Presbyterian Review Association; volumes 7-10, 1886-1889, were published in New York by Charles Scribner’s Sons.
Browse the collection or search within this collection using the search box at the top of this page.